Wednesday 20 June 2012

I am woman...watch me dig

Isaac and I were tasked with planting some vegetables in our newly constructed veggie patch this week.

I went to the nursery yesterday to pick up the plants and seeds and today was earmarked for the planting. Isaac had been asking all morning when we were going to get started and I explained (numerous times) that it would be best to wait until after lunch when Noah has his biggest sleep.

Unfortunately Isaac fell asleep while I was finishing the dishes from lunch and there was no way I was going to plant the veggies without him - although it would've been a lot quicker, I didn't want to deal with an upset four year old for the rest of the afternoon.

Instead I decided to get started on clearing the area around our lemon tree to make a proper garden bed. We're planning on using recycled bricks level with the grass for the edging so I needed to dig a hole to accommodate the depth of the bricks. I didn't realise digging a hole would be such hard work and that grass roots we're so strong. I contemplated giving up after only a few attempts at breaking the ground but with the right tools and a bit of force we now have the beginnings of a garden bed. There's still a bit of work to do but it's a start at least. And I also have a new appreciation for the work Darren does in the yard regularly - he makes it look easy.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment