Saturday 9 June 2012

Oh what a night!

Well, what do I say? A night at the lingerie football league wasn't the most romantic date night I've ever had but it was definitely interesting.

I have very mixed feelings about it all.

As a woman, I don't find it offensive as such but more intriguing. Firstly, I wonder what motivates the girls to choose to do it. I know there's challenges in getting people interested in women's sport but is this a genuine attempt at getting people interested or just pure titillation?

Secondly, and most eye opening, was the crowd. I can't say I was surprised. I knew there'd be a lot of men there ogling the on-field antics but at the same time I was a little overwhelmed by some of the behaviour. Obscene comments and gestures, blow up dolls and just general stupidity (e.g. large numbers of plastic cups being thrown down from the seats above - not all of them empty).

It's left me thinking does this stuff only happen when men get together in large numbers around half naked women or would I find the same disturbing things happening during a hen's night at Wildboys Afloat? Either way it's not very endearing.

1 comment:

  1. I am absolutley amazed that the advertising of this game highlighted the fact that it is womens football, and down played the lingerie as the reason that men would watch this game. Come on how many men would be at that game if they where fully dressed.

    ReplyDelete